Friday, March 30, 2007

 

Danger of reporting spam

This morning I got a spam from a hobby server on DSLextreme.com. I'm a DSL Extreme customer. Their customer service is great, and they don't tolerate spam. In fact, the last time I reported one of these to them, they misinterpreted the report and blocked me. Shoot first, ask questions later.

So today I copied the spam sample to my server at Explosive.net and sent the report from there. Explosive is really great, too. But their Internet Protocol Address (IPA) space is on Speakeasy.net, and Speakeasy's just as mean to spammers as DSL Extreme is. So I'm still taking a chance.

That's what it's come to. The well-run retail ISPs are few and far between. You don't want to be anywhere else. But the well-run ISPs are on such a hair-trigger you have to think twice about sending legitimate email that could be mistaken for spam. Argh.

Meanwhile, I'm shopping for a low-cost, well run virtual private server (VPS) in squeaky-clean IPA space. My users want to host video clips and I can't do it from the colocation at Explosive. Speakeasy and DSLExtreme don't offer VPS. I considered GPLhost but they're on PCCW, which doesn't seem to handle abuse complaints competently. Drop me a line if you've got any ideas. Charlie Lima Sierra at Truffula dot Sierra Juliet dot Charlie Alpha dot Uniform Sierra. Geez, think they'll harvest that?

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?